Traditional Vietnamese Pho is a breakfast, lunch and dinner staple however, the traditional way of preparing the soup base is a 4-5 hour process. Here is a nice and quick way of preparing Pho in less than an hour. In our home, we call it cheat Pho, with no compromise to taste.
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 40 mins | Servers: 4
1 packet rice noodles (Banh Pho Sa Dec)
1 packet beef balls, beef strips or chicken pieces
1 tbsp instant beef paste
1 packet pho spice cube
2 ltrs water
1. Bring water to boil over the stove and place rice noodles into boiling water. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
2. Strain and rinse noodles in cold water. Add a touch of oil to avoid noodles sticking together. Set aside.
3. Prepare soup stock. Place 2 ltrs of water in pot with pho spice cubes. Boil water until spice cube dissolves.
4. Slice beef balls (or other protein) and place into soup stock. Add instant beef paste and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until protein is cooked.
5. Serve with noodles and season to taste.
- lemon wedges
- hoisin sauce
- spring onion or coriander
- thai basil
- fish sauce
- fried shallots
- fresh chilli or chilli oil